Re: RE: Tire problems

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil
Subject: Re: RE: Tire problems
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:53:11 -0400
You adjust rear toe by adding or removing shims under the radius rod bracket at
the body tub connection.  Each side is adjusted independently.  But remember,
you can achieve a proper total toe number by having one side toed out, and the
other side toed in excessively.  On a solid axle car this would just mean you
crab going down the road, and we've all seen cars doing this.  With the
independent swing axle, it causes motion problems on each side due to the way
the thrusts are acting with relation to the imaginary line the suspension
pivots about...I think.  Not going to swear to it because there might be
another line or two in that equation.

I believe all Spitfires do do this raising and lowering action depending on if
you're going forward or backwards, but I also think it's not supposed to be
dramatic.  Yours sounds dramatic, which is why I'm suspicious, doubly so
because it's only happening on the one side.

I'll agree that 165 lbs shouldn't rock the world, but it will affect alignment.