Re: Shipping expense

To: bill@cs.scranton.edu, owner-spitfires@autox.team.net, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Shipping expense
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:40:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/0 6:49:44 AM, bill@cs.scranton.edu wrote:

<<Well, I can point to much worse here in the US.  Like VB who charges more
on any large item that has to go motor freight to deliver to a home rather
than a business.  Why would it cost more to deliver to my house than to the
garage 2 doors away?? >>

Well, time for my two cents.....
When shipping parts, the shippers charge more to deliver to your home than a
business address, doesn't make any sense to me and can't find any reason why
they do this.  Items that have to go by motor freight are done the same way
but I was able to get an explanation from one of the carriers.  Supposedly
since the merchandise being trucked to a residence must be transferred to a
lift unit because houses don't have an elevated loading dock, requiring extra
handling.  I'll accept that for now but I wonder if I'll get a reduced rate
if I build a dock on the side of the house?
    Michael