Re: Air Conditioning

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, wizardz@toad.net
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:07:13 -0400
There's often a whole lot of hot air leakage coming through the firewall after
all these years.  From poorly fitted transmission covers to missing brake &
clutch pedal boots, missing wire grommets, and extra holes drilled into the
firewall and never sealed off.

I have seen something at one show that could help the heat a whole lot.  It was
a plastic sheeting about 1/4" thick filled with air.  Sorta like bubble wrap,
but much more compact bubbles.  Aluminum skinned on both sides.  I think the
temperature claim was up to 700 degrees F.  A sheet of that fastened to the
entire firewall could greatly reduce heat transfer into the passenger
compartment without being particularly in the way or heavy.  I wish I'd have
bought a roll of this stuff when I saw it, because I haven't seen it since.