Rear spring question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear spring question
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:55:18 +0100

Listers,

I'm after some advice on a subject about which I know absolutely nothing, but I
know for a fact that there are several of you out there who know lots - the rear
spring!

My car is a '77 1500 with a stock swing-spring, and I'm quite happy for it to
remain that way.  It's a right-hand-drive, although I don't think that's
relevant to the question.

I began noticing a squeak coming from the rear of the car.  By bouncing each of
the corners, I established that the squeak was coming from the left-rear.  I
decided to take a look at the spring, and found that one of the brackets which
holds the leaves together had broken away from the spring, and the lowest leaf
had around 1/4 inch separation between it and the next leaf up.  Comparing to
the other side suggested that the leaf should actually be held against the next
leaf up by the broken bracket.

I took the car to a local garage, and asked them to fix the bracket (I didn't
fancy doing this myself - I said I know nothing about suspension).  I didn't
mention the squeak, although I probably should have done.  The garage fabricated
a new bracket, and I got the car back last night.

I *think* I can feel a difference (improvement) in the handling of the car, but
that might just be because I *want* to feel a difference.  However, the squeak
is still there.  It's now not just on the left, but on both sides.

So, the questions:  What causes a rear spring to squeak?  Has the spring been
permanently damaged by driving with the broken bracket?  Should I replace it?
Or is this nothing to worry about?

Unless there's a quick fix, or this is a major problem, I'm tempted to leave it
alone.  I can only hear it when going very slowly (<20mph) and I usualy try not
to drive that slowly <g>.  But I'd at least like to know that my wheels aren't
going to fall off as I'm heading down the motorway at 70mph.

As always, thanks for your help,

Dean