Re: Daily Driver

To: "Dean.Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>,
Subject: Re: Daily Driver
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2000 06:55:59 -0500
Dean,

I like your definition of a 'Classic Car'.  Although I'm sure there are some
 old Ferraris, Bentleys and Bugattis to which this definition would not apply,
 but would still be called 'classic'.

You can't really define on the basis of age, either.  Ten years ago a Spitfire
 would still probably have been called a classic, even though the most recent
 ones would be only 10 years old.  Yet I would hardly call my wifes'
 12-year-old Citroen BX a classic.  Austin Allegros are mostly older than
 Daffy, and many would dispute their classic status - although even they have
 their followers, and I would not want to deny them their right to call theirs
 a 'classic'.  But I'm not sure there's many fighting the corner for the Morris
 Marina...

Many are starting to refer to car such as the Mk I Golf GTi as a classic, yet
 others would just dismiss it as a modern car that's getting a bit old.  And
 what about cars such as the Mini - old ones are definitely classic, brand new
 ones are not (yet), and in-between there are bangers.  At what point do you
 move between these definitions?

Really it has to be a combination of age (15 years +?), and that someone out
 there loves it in an irrational manner.  If someone loves it enough, even a
 Metro can be a classic (there are several MG Metro enthusiasts).  And in a few
 years time, the earliest Mazda MX5/Miatas might even start to qualify...

Richard and Daffy

P.S. Apologies to the American listers who haven't got a clue what most of the
 cars referred to above are.  All I can say about your intermediate cars is
 that, in 1993 I drove with my wife-to-be around the States in a '76 Buick
 Skylark.  I still hold an affection for that car that approaches what I have
 for Daffy, we had many great adventures in 3 months.  But when we came to sell
 Oscar (as we called him), buyers only saw him as a banger - only 60's Skylarks
 were classic.  Still sold him for 50% more than we bought him for...  didn't
 compensate for the fact that we could not bring him home with us :-(