Re: Daily Driver

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Subject: Re: Daily Driver
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:33:21 -0400 (EDT)
On 28 Jun 2000, Richard B Gosling wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> My understanding of a daily driver is a car that you drive every day.  That

Hmmm.  In that case, I don't have a daily driver, 'cuz neither car is
guaranteed to be driven every day.  As a matter of fact, there is a
pretty strong chance that the Jeep won't move at all over the next weekend
as they are predicting some really fine weather.

>  means she is your main transport, takes you to work and back, everything.

But I freequently need my car at work to transport racks of computer
equipment and somehow I don't think the Spitfire is up to it!!  :-)

>  Sorry Bill, but to me a reliable, often-used second car is still a second
>car.
>
> I do all my driving in Daffy, except when with more than one other member of
>my
>  family (wife OK, baby OK, dog OK, but not all three!).  In the last year she
>  has covered about 16,000 miles.

I did over 10,000.  can't say exactly as I don't keep an eye on it.  But I did
get it to drive, and not to look at.

>                                   Maybe this is why I spend so much time on
>  maintenance and minor repairs - that sort of mileage does take its toll!  I
>  don't see anything silly about taking a Spitfire to work (even when I do have
>  a choice, if my wife is not using her car) - it may just sit in a parking lot
>  all day, but it is still fun to drive there and back.

Boy, you must live in an interesting place.  The Spit is no fun driving at
15 mph in second gear.  Of course, things are a little better now that at
least the school buses are gone for a few months.

>                                                      There may be about 5-10
>  days a year when it rains hard enough (and it is not Hardtop Season) that I
>  wish I was in another car...

I can't even remember the last time I had the soft top up, but it had to be
at least two months ago.  It's definitely no fun driving it that way.
(And yes, I have a hardtop for the winter.  But if the roads are well cleared
I wouldn't drive it.  It is definitely un-safe in the snow.)

All the best.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |