Re: RE: Rockets Red Glare...off topic

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, reid.w.simmons@intel.com
Subject: Re: RE: Rockets Red Glare...off topic
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 07:08:52 -0400
The song is To Anacreon in Heaven, and yes, it was a favorite drinking song at
the time.  In fact, there were groups formed to the dedication of drinking to
it.  American history is full of that sort of stuff.  From British solders
ridiculing us as faux macaroni's and our falling in love with it, setting it to
song, to our marine hymn, which came from a vaudeville bit about gay solders.
We've got a very colorful and irreverent history.

>>> "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com> 07/05 4:25 PM >>>

I seem to remember being told that the tune for the 'Star Spangled Banner'
is an old British drinking song somewhat akin to our "99 bottles of bear on
the wall".  How ironic.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)