Re: Rockets Red Glare...off topic

To: Laura.G@141.com
Subject: Re: Rockets Red Glare...off topic
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 20:47:49 -0400
Happy Fourth to you too!

Smithsonian Magazine (www.smithsonianmag.si.edu) had an interesting
piece this month on the composition of the SSB.  Apparently the melody
was known to Francis Scott Key, the song of "a popular London
gentlemen's club, the Anacreonic Society, honoring an ancient Greek
poet who lyricized life's joys."  The tune alone was popular, and had
several other songs set to it as well.

Donald.