Overdrive news

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive news
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 14:41:28 +0200
Listers

As some of you are aware I am searching for a d-type overdrive for my non
overdrive 1964 Spitfire 4 ( Mk 1 ) . Well , the good news is that I've been
offered a d-type from a seller in South Africa at a reasonable price :-)  .
The bad news is that it was taken from a Sunbeam Alpine or Rapier and the
seller is not sure if the unit is complete or working :-(     I have not
seen the item .

Question : Can such a Sunbeam o/d unit be used successfully in a Spitfire or
are modifications needed ?

I know I still need to find the following for a complete overdrive
conversion :

Overdrive column switch and cowl   ( possibly available from a friend in the
UK )
Gearbox to overdrive adapter plate  ( possibly available from a friend in
the UK )
Speedo angle drive  ( possibly available from a friend in the UK )
Longer speedo cable
Overdrive wiring loom ( I should be able to make my own )
Overdrive relay
metalastic gearbox mounting and plate
Gearshift mechanism and lock-out switchgear
Overdrive script badge
Shorter o/d mainshaft ( from Mk 1 , 2 or 3 Spitfire )
Shorter prop shaft / drive shaft ( I should be able to make my own )

Anything else needed ?
Anyone willing to sell some or all of these items please ?

TIA

Chris de Wet
P O Box 472 , Ifafi  , 0260  ,  South Africa  .
Telephone 012 - 3398042 ( office ) 012 - 2591129 ( home ) Cell 0828406535
Fax 012 - 3398118
One '56 TR 3 with o/d , two Heralds and four early Spitfires without o/d .

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments is
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient
please reply immediately and delete this message.  Please do not make use of
it, nor disclose it's contents in any way.  Thank you.