Re: Soldering wire

To: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>,
Subject: Re: Soldering wire
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:49:39 -0400
Most of the crimp connector failures I have seen were due to:

Using too large a connector for the wire.
Using a cheesy tool that crimps incorrectly.
Crimping onto solid wire.  :-(

I am not without sin in this area; a few months ago
I had to pull my tranny cover to fix a bad crimp
in the OD switch harness...

There ARE some original soldered connectors in my Spit's wiring.
I think they are OK if the connector body provides
enough mechanical support for the wire, so the soldered part
is not subject to flexing.  Heat-shrink tubing applied
over a soldered terminal can do this, IF it shrinks enough
to actually grip the wire insulation.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit