Re: emissions testing in AZ

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: emissions testing in AZ
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:13:49 -0400
According to Arizona's MVD web pages...
                "      What must be tested?
                       Arizona law requires all vehicles registered in metro
Phoenix or Tucson to be inspected within 90 days of the date the
                       current registration expires unless:

                            The vehicle model year is 1996 or newer.
                            The vehicle is older than 1967.
                            The vehicle is pro-rated (licensed in more than
one state).
                            The vehicle is non-motorized or is a trailer.
                            The vehicle is electric powered, a golf cart, or
has an engine displacement of less than 90 cubic centimeters.
                            The vehicle is leased to a person residing
outside the emission control areas.
                            The vehicle is transferred between dealers
(wholesale)...

and
....If you work or go to school in the emissions test area, but register
outside of the area, Arizona law requires that you have the vehicle
inspected."

Also, the only authorised emissions stations seem to be listed in Tucson,
Phoenix, Mesa, Glendale, Chandler and Scottsdale. Can I assume if you don't
reside and/or work in those areas around Phoenix and Tucson that you are
"residing outside of the emmissions control areas"?

-Terry

> Terry,
> Not all areas require testing.  Tucson doesn't, but I don't know about
Flagstaff.  It is far enough from Phoenix (pollution capitol of
> Arizona) that perhaps they don't require it either.
>
> Regards,
> Joe
>
> "Terry L. Thompson" wrote:
> >
> > Any Arizona residence familar with the rules and regs regarding
emissions in
> > the state?
> > I was looking at a job opportunity in Flagstaff, but according to the
AZ,
> > Motor Vehicle Division web site, the only cars exempt from testing are
1996
> > and newer cars.
> >
> > I've swapped my 1976 carb set-up for an MGB carb set-up and I don't have
the
> > air-pump or air manifold, which is what failed my car in Virginia. They
> > wouldn't even test the exhaust gas because it was "missing pieces". And
I'm