To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfires
From: david <engstrom@tstonramp.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:25:26 -0700
     Ok, I've been thinking and pondering and I've come to the
conclusion that I'm going to keep my 1965 mkII and my 1979 1500. I was
thinking that I would sell them because of their lack of high speed
touring ability on the freeways of southern Califoria. I thought I would
replace them with a Datsun 240z. Well, I've decided that I will keep the
spits and somehow get a 240z for long distances. You guys are all right,
the spitfire is just so much fun that I can't let go. Maybe I was lucky
that know one was close enough to come and look at my cars because it
gave me more time to think about what it would be like not to have a
spitfire. I would miss that too much! My wife drove the 1500 to work and
back for a few days while I fixed our truck and it's pretty clear that
she likes it a lot too. I did not like coming home and their was no spit
sitting in the driveway!  I think I now truly understand everyone's love
for these cars now. Also, I think I am becoming much more confident in the
reliability of the cars. I have now put over 2000 miles on my 1500 and
have had no problems whatsoever. I had to replace a few things when I
got it: fuel pump, starter, u-joints,  got a used rear axle because
bearings were rumbling on the left side. I still have'nt solved the
mystery of my fuel and temp gauges staying on!  Other than that, I am
confident that when properly fixed, these cars will go a few miles
without problems: any coments on how many miles people have put on their
spits whithout a breakdown?

thanks, David