Re: Tachometer erratic

To: Mike Ross <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Tachometer erratic
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:42:02 -0400
Mike Ross wrote:

> Joe,
>
> As it turns out it is an amazing coincidence.  I have three GT6 tachometers
> and all three were bouncing all over the place.  I pulled the distributor
> and removed the drive gear.  Tachometer drive gear was pristine.  I have two
> Spitfires in different stages of restoration, so I removed one of their
> tachometers and hooked it up to the GT6 cable under the bonnet.  Guess
> what?.......it worked fine.
>
> All three GT6 tachometers must need to be repaired/calibrated.   Have you
> ever had this done?

  Are you sure it's not the usual symptom, which is too much runout
in the tachometer cable?

  Having the spare tach hooked up "under the bonnet" is not a fair
test, because without the corners and twists of the cable you
won't see the trembling.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca