Re: Car transport choices???

To: FODFARTS@cs.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car transport choices???
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 100 07:48:22 -0400

>Hi list,
>    My better half has fallen in love with a British car! Unfortunately it
is
>not a Spitfire. She has found an Austin Mini that she just has to have. I

>have always had a soft spot for these cars so she didn't have to persuade me

>very much. The problem is this, I'm in Missouri and the car is in Florida.
>don't really have the time or desire to drive there and pick up the car. But

>the quotes given to us by a couple of companies would add almost half to the

>price of the car. I would love some advice from those on the list that have

>dealt with this before. I realize it is a long way to drive but $1200 seems
>little steep. Any advice or references would be great.

Brad,

   I think you are correct $1200 seems a bit steep.  About 2 years
ago I was going to have a Saab Sonett shipped from the Miami Fl area
to Va. Beach, VA.  I opted for an open carrier as they were quite
a bit cheaper than the closed trailers.  The cost was to be about $600.

   However, since then gas prices have doubled, so the $1,200 may
not be too out of line.  And yes it does jack up the price of the
car.

   You might want to try and put it in prespective though.  How
much would it cost for you (and or your wife) to fly to where the
car is and then try to drive it back?  What would it cost to rent
a truck and trailer and drive it back?  What would it cost for you
to drive the pick it up, then try and drive it back?  etc...

   What I've found, is if the car is over about 6 hours away, it
is usually cheaper and a lot easier to have it delivered.
Don't forget to include the time off you have to take (from work)
in you prices estimates.

John