VTR 2000

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: VTR 2000
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:20:08 -0700
Well, my Spitfire didn't make it to VTR2000 but I did.  16 months of work on
her and she decides to get sick the weekend before the convention (she won't
suck gas from the float bowl unless it is slightly pressurized by lightly
blowing into the carb vent tube!).  I even thought about towing her the 5
miles to the convention hotel just to add another Spitfire.

There were LOTs (swarms?) of TR3x and TR6 models in attendance but Spitfires
were in a definite minority.  Even for the Concours show there were only two
Spitfires and one GT6 entered, which made my job as one of the three
Spitfire judges somewhat easier.  In contrast there were "bazillions" of
other Triumph marques in the show.  I think we Spitfire owners need to get
more organized and start showing up in larger numbers at these affairs.
Especially considering that the Spitfire is the best looking production
Triumph ever made - IMHO.

Some of the SpitList people I ran into were: Ted Schumacher, Joe Curry,
Scott Kohl, Brad Richardson, Alan Lemens, and Bill McDevitt (sorry if I
missed someone).  Joe's car is a truly nice looking machine, and Bill's
concours '64 MK1 looked like it had just come out of the box.

Ah yes, then there was the Funkana, were my station was essentially in the
path of the cars with their blindfolded drivers (I almost got run down 3
different times by 2 TR6s!!).  Why is it us Spitfire pilots are always
selected for the more dangerous tasks?  Are we expendable or something?

There should be pictures going up on the PTOA and VTR web sites soon that
will tell more of the story including the rallies, tours, autocross,
funkana, etc.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)