stop/brake light woes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: stop/brake light woes
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 07:37:26 -0600
I'm stumped on this one guys & gals. Its my 1971 MK IV.

When the headlights are OFF, both brake lights work fine.
When the headlights are ON, both tail lights work fine.
When the headlights are ON, only the right tail & brake light work.  The
left side goes blank.

What's up?

I've replaced/cleaned all connections from the tail light bulbs,
connectors, assemblies right up to the main 6 pin plug under the dash.
Still no luck.

In the process I've found an item not listed in either Haynes nor
Leylands MK IV manuals.  Its  a tubular device, like a flasher unit,
bolted up under the dash on the extreme left side.  It has two
terminals, onto one go one black wire, and on the other go two
purple/white wires.  The only other place I can find a purple/white
wire, along with one purple wire,  is dangling down, where I presume it
should have gone to the door switch (missing).  I can't find a
purple/white wire connection in either manual.

Please help!
Cheers, Fred

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,