Advice on removing Pulley Nut

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Advice on removing Pulley Nut
From: Bernard Christian-Woodruff <Bernard.Christian-Woodruff@ping.be>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 00 14:40:07 +0200
Please Help!

During my last trip over to England to the TSSC Annual meeting at
Stafford, my engine developed a rather worrying rattle coming from the
front of the engine. My guess is that the timing chain tensioner has
disintegrated..... So, an easy job - remove the radiator, remove fan
belt, remove pulley nut....STOP.

How on earth do you remove a nut of that size attached to something that
moves? I contacted John Kipping and bought a new pulley nut and using
that I bought a large socket. But alas, the nut on my car is ~46mm where
as my new nut and socket is ~44mm.

So, I hit it with a chisel, I pulled it with an oil fitler remover (chain
variety), I have slapped it, swore at it, and just sat and watched it
using the power of the mind to get it to move. But it remains put and my
car sits in the garage during the best weather in the WHOLE year.

In fact when putting a lot of force on it, the engine would rather turn
and the car starts to reverse into the garage in spite of the fact that
the handbrake is on.....

AARRRGGGHHHHH!

Can anyone suggest anything????

Thanks in advance!