Re: stop/brake light woes

To: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stop/brake light woes
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:20:52 -0400
At 07:37 AM 8/13/00 -0600, you wrote:

Use this problem-solving strategy:

   Think:  What you YOU do if you were an electron?

Honestly, your problem is about the most bizarre-sounding
one I've heard so far.  I would suggest checking out the
grounding of everything.

>In the process I've found an item not listed in either Haynes nor
>Leylands MK IV manuals.  Its  a tubular device, like a flasher unit,
>bolted up under the dash on the extreme left side.  It has two
>terminals, onto one go one black wire, and on the other go two
>purple/white wires.  The only other place I can find a purple/white
>wire, along with one purple wire,  is dangling down, where I presume it
>should have gone to the door switch (missing).  I can't find a
>purple/white wire connection in either manual.

I believe this is the "key warning buzzer".  It connects between
a special connection on the ignition switch (part of the actual mechanical
lock, not the electrical switch stuck on the back of it)
and the door switch.  The connection to the ignition switch has an
in-line bullet connection about 3 inches from the ignition switch.

It shows up on the wiring diagram in my '72 owner's manual.

If it works, it is quite annoying, so you should be glad it's disconnected.
The government mandated it so you would not accidentally leave your
keys in the ignition.
I have considered slightly rewiring mine so it becomes headlights-on
warning buzzer, which would actually offer a practical benefit...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit