Re: Clutch adjustment

To: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch adjustment
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:45:07 +0000
Don't get me started on that!!!!!  I have had so much trouble getting the
clutch sorted out on my Race Spit that I am practically an
"expert" on what can be done.

The reason for my problems is the aluminum flywheel that is a good half inch
thicker than the stock one.  It throws all the other
dimensions off.

Theoretically, the clutch is not supposed to be adjustable, but I ended up
grinding the entire side of my slave cylinder flat so it can
move further in or out than the captured (stock) position.  It gives me the
adjustment I need.  However, I wouldn't recommend doing
this on stock applications.  If everything is working (not worn out) the stock
position should be fine.

My final "fix" is to have the release bearing sleeve machined down to about
half its original thickness so that the movement is normal
with the slave at its intended position.

Joe