Axle Yokes

To: "Spitfire Mail List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Axle Yokes
From: "Edward Hamilton" <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:40:51 -0400
Getting ready to put new u-joints in the rear axles and think that I may be
getting too particular.  In one of the yokes, there is a casting flaw where
it was bored for the cap of the u-joint.
It's not on an edge, but rather in the center of the bore -- about 1/16" in
depth and running about 3/8" at its' longest point.  I guess it was some
type of a void in the casting.  What's the opinion of the list:
1.  Ignore it and consider it not a problem
2.  Fill the void with a JB weld type material and polish it smooth
3.  Trash the yoke and get another

Regards,
Ed