Re: Re: period stereo

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: period stereo
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, Aug 15 2000 8:54:13 GMT-0600
The problem I have found with the removeable faceplate is that they are
fragile-if it doesn't clear the gear shift (like my last one didn't)-it's
trouble!

I spent 2 days over the weekend looking at every type and brand stereo-and
measuring, measuring! Since the non-detachables are few and far between (and I
didn't even find a very good selection of radio/cassette players-they were
mostly CD players-which I didn't want) the measuring was very important.

I found a Kenwood that was very nice and would've worked-but it was about $150
out of my price range. Most of the acceptable ones were-$300 for a car stereo?
That's as much as I'm paying for the installation of a new burled wood dash
-$100 more, and I can get a j-type o/d transmission!

And I don't know if it's because I'm a woman-but most of these sales people
really jerked me around-one was downright patronizing!

I finally settled on an Emerson with detachable face plate. I had a feeling
about it. THe sales people wouldn't even let me see it out of the box (it was
on special for $50!) cause 'it won't have the quality you want'-with Monza's,
you don't need something for an audiophile-it's lost anyway!

I went back the next day-past the sales people, picked it up, paid up front and
left. A friend very kindly installed it beautifully for me in return for a ride
down PCH!

Verdict? Sounds great-and really importantly-*it clears the gear shift!!!*

My dream is to find a period stereo and then have it converted! (A buddy of
mine had that done with the original radio in his '66 Mustang.)

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Laura G.