Annoying water leak

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Annoying water leak
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:11:59 -0400
Hello,

When I am forced to leave my car out in the rain (with the top up,
of course), I end up getting water in the front floorpans.
This has been happening a lot recently here in New Jersey.

I finally realized that the water seems to be dripping from inside the
sides of the windshield frame and running down the A post
just in front of the door, behind the side of the driver's glove
box and beneath the vertical piece of carpeting.

The puzzling thing is how the water gets in in the first place.
There are no rust holes or cracks in the body structure,
and it's definitely not coming in through the door opening.

The windshield gasket is sort of old and tired, so possibly
it's letting water in.  But inside surface of the gasket
and the top of the dashboard both stay dry.  Is it possible
for water to leak in through the gasket and get inside the
windshield frame?  Is the windshield frame even hollow?

It's probably a good idea to re-caulk the gasket.  Can
anyone suggest the best product to use for this?

Puzzled,

Douog Braun
'72 Spit