Steering Wheel Flex Coupling

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Wheel Flex Coupling
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:29:16 -0500
I've been silent for quite a while becuase the car's been running so well I've
just been enjoying it. However, I now realize that I've developed a lot of slop
in my steering. Most of it appears to be in the flex coupling. There is visible
slop in the assembly when the steering wheel is moved side-to-side.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a wrench on it to tighten the bolts. It looks
like I'll have to remove the pinch bolts and withdraw the column to get to it.

How important/critical are the bushings on the attachment bolts? They look to be
made out of some type of rubber. Is this what gives the flex coupling its flex?
Is the slop in the coupling likely to be due to the bolts having loosened over
time or the bushings wearing out? Are they anything special, or are they
something that can be found in a hardware store?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Waid
71 Mark IV