Steering Wheel Flex Coupling

To: Spitfires Digest <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel Flex Coupling
From: LT <llst@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:21:35 -0700
Motorhead (www.motorheadltd.com)sells replacement rubbers at $2.00 each.
The flexible coupling would appear to be a vibration isolation device as
there is no metal to metal connections; thus making the requirement for
the horn grounding strap. I like Fred's tap washer idea. You probably
get 6 for $2.00 at the local hardware store.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC

I've been silent for quite a while becuase the car's been running so
well  I've  just been enjoying it. However, I now realize that I've
developed a lot of slop in my steering. Most of it appears to be in the
flex coupling. There is visible slop in the assembly when the steering
wheel is moved side-to-side.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a wrench on it to tighten the bolts.
It looks like I'll have to remove the pinch bolts and withdraw the
column to get to it. How important/critical are the bushings on the
attachment bolts? They look to be made out of some type of rubber. Is
this what gives the flex coupling its flex? Is the slop in the coupling
likely to be due to the bolts having loosened over  time or the bushings
wearing out? Are they anything special, or are they something that can
be found in a hardware store?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Waid
71 Mark IV