Arguments & people leaving the List (long, sarcastic, factual & importan

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Arguments & people leaving the List (long, sarcastic, factual & important)
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:15:56 EDT
Okay, my turn.  And the beauty of it is: if I ignite a major thread, it
simply proves my point.
    I spend most of my time reading and very little time writing when it
comes to this list.  I enjoy learning a lot of mechanical stuff (a lot from
Joe) and sifting through a bunch of tongue-in-cheek chatter (a lot from
Laura).  I also put up with a lot of useless technical stuff which doesn't
concern me, and a lot of feeble attempts at humor which bores me.  But
perhaps the technical stuff is of paramount importance to others, and perhaps
still others find incredible humor in what I pompously consider to be feeble
and boring.
    I personal don't believe that Nigel is pushing 140hp but I really don't
know.  Even more: I don't care!  As long as she's happy, I'm happy.  Can her
car do 98?  I don't know... Hobbs can do 85+ with room to spare, and I have
no idea what his mechanical innards look like because I didn't do any engine
work.  Apparently Nigel has receceived a lot of custom engine work, so 98
doesn't seem unattainable to me... but again: I don't know, and I don't care!
    What about the guy who said he should be getting 45mph from a Spitfire?
I have never calculated my mileage, but I think 45mph from a 20+ year old
engine design is dreaming.  If he gets 45mph, I'm happy for him.  But if he
doesn't (here's the buzzphrase:), I DON'T CARE.
    Let's chat about Splitfire spark plugs.  Statistically, they increase
horsepower and mileage... unless you look at other statistics, which say they
don't do squat.  I used them in my Harley and enjoyed increased accelleration
and an increase of 2 miles per gallon.  I used them in my Corvette and
realized zero increase in anything.  So I recommend that my Harley friends
use them, and they snicker behind my back because they read the second set of
statistics and think I'm a moron.  But when I switched back to NGK for one
tune-up (have to special order the Splitfires for a Harley), both
accelleration and mpg dropped slightly... or was it my imagination?  Who
knows.  And (buzzphrase again:) WHO CARES?
    Bottom line: I have a life outside of this list, and what people do or
say on it means very little in the overall scheme of things.  I appreciate
the comraderie and the information.  I take the good with the bad.  I think
you're all geniuses 95% of the time and I disbelieve where I want.  Same way
I handle conversations with my lifelong friends over a frosty cold beer on a
warm Arizona evening...sometimes they're right on, sometimes they tell tales.
 WHO CARES?
    The only time there should be a major argument is if someone suggests
putting lighter fluid in the master cylinder.  Other than that: LIGHTEN UP.
On both sides!
    Or maybe I'm crazy...?  Maybe it really is that important...
    ...and yet: when I send this letter, there will be some who agree with
me, and some who snicker behind my back.  And I will kiss my wife and hug my
kids and drive my Spitfire whether it goes 40mph or 200mph and gets 13mpg or
68mpg, and I'll do my job and live my life and tomorrow morning I'll long on
and read another 3 dozen e-mail regarding Spitfires... some of which will be
technical, some of which will be funny, and some of which will not interest
me in the least.  Just like I did this morning, and yesterday, and the day
before.
    Joe: You're great.  Laura: You're a doll.  Richard: You're a prince.
Everyone Else: You're beautiful.
    Now... focus in on what's really important in life and stop arguing!

    "Of course, that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong." (Dennis Miller)

    Scott (and Hobbs, 77 Spit, who is a piece of metal and, regardless of
what I put between the parentheses at the bottom of my messages, has no human
attributes whatsoever such as opinions, desires, etc...)