RE: Arguments & people leaving the List (long, sarcastic, factual & impo

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Arguments & people leaving the List (long, sarcastic, factual & important)
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:22:52 -0500
I've been another (mostly) list lurker... guess it's time toss in my .02.

I'm not sure what specific exchange precipitated this fiasco, and better
yet, don't care.

In some ways, what's going on is the clash of technically oriented Spitfire
owners and the socially oriented Spitfire owners.

As a technically oriented owner, I'd love to know how to get 140 hp from my
1500 autocrosser ( with 40 DCOE properly jetted, 11:1 compression, seriously
trick custom header, etc it only dyno'd at 72 hp at the rear wheels).

And how could I get such an engine to run reliably (and without over
heating!) on unleaded pump gas?

Those are the tricks that highly successful engine building shops careers
are built on.

That's not to say that a Spitfire 1500 can't be impressive on the street,
even without 140 hp.  My '73 1500 kept up a good pace on the local highway
off a light, my friend behind me (agressive driver, new '86 Civic Si) was
going to pass me but backed off at 85 mph.... and that engine had 5 cracked
rings when it failed 3 weeks later.

The Spitfire list was originated when enough Spitfire owners decided that
debates on proper vinyl texture on TR3 side curtains was not.. well..
enlightening.

Is it time to split the Spitfires list?  Into a "Spitfires-technical" and a
"Spitfires-social"?

That way us testorone laden neanderthals won't bore enlightened owners with
talk of our... well.. conquests?

Cheers,

Jim