Re: DHL

To: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Subject: Re: DHL
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:34:46 -0400

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.10008232057410.23132-100000@triangle.cs.uofs.edu>you
write:
>On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Dave Chu wrote:
>
>> When I recieved my shipment last week from Rimmer via DHL there was no
>> papers.  I don't know why but the guy just drop it off and I didn't have
>> to paid any duties or taxes.  The only thing I can think of is I had an
>> item back ordered and the bill that came with the package listed the total
>> as $0.00 even though the other items shipped has their prices listed on
>> the reciept.
>
>Surely there must have been an invoice??  Mine had two, one inside and
>one stuffed into the DHL shipping order.

   Yes there was, but $0.00 was printed where the total should have been,
   that amount was meant for the back ordered item (A Post seals). The price
   of all the other parts were printed on the invoice, but the $0.00 amount
   stand out.  I guess whoever was processing it just saw the $0.00 and
   might have thought it was return items for exchange or something like that.
   Thus he or she did not bother to process something that did not have
   any value.

>As for duties, I have yet to be charged any import duties on any of my
>Rimmer orders and I'm in the states.  Why would a Canadian have to pay
>import duties on something originating within the United Kingdom??

    We are part of the Commonwealth but the UK is still a foreign country
    to Canada Customs, just like the US.  The last time I bought from
    Rimmer I had to pay over $70CAN in taxes and duties for $250CAN
    worth of goods.  I think we have less duties on goods coming from the
    US than from the UK (something to do with our free trade agreement).

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html