Re: Trailer Tie-downs

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trailer Tie-downs
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:35:39 -0500
   Many thanks to Joe, Bill, Brad, Patrick, & Carter.  You experienced
tow-guys have considerably educated me on Spit-towing & tie-downs, and thus
provided this old codger with the confidence to have at it (if my
trailer-guy ever finishes the trailer - it's 2 weeks behind sked already &
summer is passing by).
   A couple of close-out observations --- I'd forgotten about the shipping
eyes (which are both front & back on my 1500) --- I will NOT be using the
light-weight 1200# straps --- I'll tow the Spit (?Spits?) frontwards, not
only to keep the doors from popping disastrously, but also to keep the
(engine) weight forward to encourage sufficient tongue weight (I am familiar
with tongue weight as I presently tow 3 trailers (NOT at the same time!) - a
200# rowboat rig, an 800# jetski rig, & a 4000# boat rig up & down the
central PA hills) --- the toughest choice was between single- and dual-axle;
I went with single to keep my GVW as low as possible, but I do carry 2 new
spares/wheels - fortunately the same bolt-circle as for the boat-trailer so
I don't have to buy any additional ones. (Also, the lighter capacity trailer
will discourage me from my previous habit of picking up various old trashed
out Nova's and depositing same in the back of the driveway - thus keeping my
wife and neighbors much happier.)
   Thanks again for the very valuable info.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Mexico, NY  -  (sans) 78 Spit  FN73070U O