Trailer Tie-downs

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trailer Tie-downs
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:16:01 -0500
   I'm awaiting completion of my "Spit-Trailer" - basically a 6&1/2' x 14'
3500# landscape/utility single-axle unit - slightly modified with electric
brakes, H-D tiedowns, beefed-up ramp/gate & angle-iron "chocks" - to be
towed with a 4wd 4.3L Sonoma.
   Any comments from you experienced Spit-towers on the various tie-down
methods to secure the Spit onto the trailer?  ISTR that Joe Curry mentioned
using the strap/ratchet deals that go over the wheels.  Some of the
race-guys up here use straps from the suspension criss-crossed to the
tie-downs (on the opposite side).  Bill Miller - planning to tow the Suchak
Spit from FL to IN - must have a good set-up in mind.
   FWIW, I'm talking about long-range towing on the interstates.  All
comments & observations on tie-down methods, from you folks with more
experience & knowledge than I, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,  Ree Gurley in Mexico, NY  -  (sans) 78 Spit  FM73070U O