Re: early overdrive

To: sixt6spitfire@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: early overdrive
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 22:03:32 EDT
In a message dated 9/4/2000 3:23:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sixt6spitfire@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi all,
>
>  I just picked up a complete trans with overdrive with the column switch
>  for my MKII the ID# is FK57682. My question is this, is it truly a early
>  trans, if so what year? My catalogs show gearbox # starting FC, FD, FH.
>  Also will my driveshaft still work? I probably put the before the horse,
but

>  it was a good deal (I hope  LOL).
>  This list is THE BEST resource.
>
>  TIA

If the output flange is the small bolt pattern of your Spitfire driveshaft,
it's an early trans with 3-synchros.

The original 4-speed non-od driveshaft won't work.
You'll need a shorter one.
Advise you not to shorten your present one in case you want to re-install the
4-speed.  Get another driveshaft first.

You'll also need a different rear transmission frame mount....

"If it's not fun, why do it?" Ben & Jerry
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)