Re: Spitfire Cams

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <CWNicholls@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Cams
From: "BILL McDEVITT" <wmmk1@informatics.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:02:06 -0600
I went to original Parts Manual and it shows the 1147
used three different cam shafts!! # 202931 was fitted on
engines up to FC38627E.  # 211433 was fitted from there
up to # FC50000E. # 212164 was fitted from there to #
FC61022E.  What the differences were, I don't know??
But the only cam bearings listed were fitted from engine
#FC61023E and future.
So one may safely assume any engine with a serial #
FC61023E to the end of production had cam bearings!!
Bill McDevitt

> Please note I did not say that there were any Mk1's with cam bearings.
What I said is that later in the 1147 production (which
> continued through the Mk2) there was a change.
>
> The Serial number that Rimmer quotes does put the start somewhere between
the end of the Mk1 and the early Mk2's.  Since typically
> engine numbers are higher than the commission numbers due to factory
spares and engines sold to other manufacturers, it is difficult to
> say where in the production the change actually took place.  The best
thing to do is check the engine number to determine if a
> particular engine came with cam bearings.
>
> Regards,
> Joe
>

> > > Bill is  correct.  Early Mk1 engines did not have cam bearings.  But
later
> > in
> > > the 1147 production, the bearings were added.
> > >
> > My "period" parts supplier's catalog (1980 and 1983 versions of catalog
> > pages) lists Vandervell cam bearings for MkII Spitfires, not MkI.  VP978
part