Re: Alternative steering wheels?

To: FODFARTS <FODFARTS@cs.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternative steering wheels?
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 06 Nov 2000 04:57:37 -0600
Brad,

There are a number of after-market wheels available.  The two most common seem
 to be Moto-Lita and Mountney.  Mountney are a lot cheaper - I have had a
 couple of Mountney wheels and been very happy with them, so I'm not sure what
 you are paying extra for with the Moto-Lita.  Both are available in a range of
 sizes, 13/14/15 inch, with either wood or leather rims.  Mountney has polished
 aluminium spokes, Moto-Lita a choice of polished or black spokes.

I paid about 30 pounds ($48) for a 13" leather Mountney wheel (from TRGB in the
 UK).  The hub adaptor is a further 15-odd pounds ($24) - all the wheels have a
 common mounting, that fits to a range of hub adaptors so you can select the
 one with the correct pattern for your car.  They are available from all the
 usual UK suspects e.g. Rimmers, Moss, TRGB (and no doubt others such as
 Kippings, TD Fitchett etc, although I haven't checked) - no idea about
 avalability in the US, but if the Mountney is not available over there it is
 so much cheaper it may be worth ordering it from over here, particularly with
 Rimmers' free shipping at the moment.  I suspect there may be pictures on
 their web-sites, so you can see what you are getting - www.rimmerbros.co.uk
 and www.mossint.co.uk.

Alternatively, try a wheel off a scrap MkIV or 1500, the stock wheel is smaller
 than the early cars (not sure of exact size), and I guess the spline pattern
 is likely to be the same.

Richard and Daffy