Re: My turn for a 'dumb Q'

To: Ptegler <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Subject: Re: My turn for a 'dumb Q'
From: mark holbrook <rolling_rock_12@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 13:47:53 -0800 (PST)
I'd say that the squeal is from the release bearing.
I wouldn't change it unless it starts giving you
problems with shifting.  I don't know about you, but
taking out the trans isn't something I like doing
every weekend.  Unfortunatly I have gotten preety damn
good at taking it out.  If you do replace the bering,
through a new clutch kit in.  YOu might as well.
Mark Holbrook
1969 GT6+ Convertable
--- Ptegler <ptegler@gouldfo.com> wrote:

> I guess I know better, but here goes....
>
> .... clutch peddle requiring nearing 90% of travel.
> seems like about 60% of the stroke of the clutch
> peddle
> is required to fully engage/disengage the clutch.
>
> I can here the slight squeal/rubbing when the peddle
> is fully depressed.
> I believe this is the bearing/rubbing the pressure
> plate fingers
> as it is pressed in too far.    right/wrong?
>
> There is no clutch jitter or slipping no matter how
> fast or slow I release
> the clutch. This car had sat a year or three before
> I started driving
> it (sat prior to my purchase)
>
> QUESTIONS:
> 1) Clutch worn...or just the throwout bearing
> squeaking from no lube?
>
> Yes... I know... If I'm going to pull it apart why
> not replace everything.
> (...I probably will)
>

> Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net
> http://www.teglerizer.com