missing oil seal

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: missing oil seal
From: John Cave <cavej@mcmaster.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:28:44 -0500
I,m replacing a won out bearing in the rear extension of my 1500
transmission, while i,m down this far i thought i,d replace all the
seals and bearings, Rimmer,s shows an oil seal between the bell housing
and the gearbox,i have what looks like a left handed thread, in a large
steel insert in the bell housing, is it likley this a reverse oil
slinger and is replaceing a rubber oil seal my car is a 78 i dont know
what year the transmission is ,it is a single rail.

                             Thanks John Cave