Re: Hot Start Problem, 1980 ZS carb

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot Start Problem, 1980 ZS carb
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:40:32 -0500
At 10:40 AM 11/20/00 -0800, John Weale wrote:

>Sometimes (stupid intermittant problems!) my car will not start when hot.
>Usually, the starter motor will crank the engine once or twice then 'jam,'
>exactly like a dead battery.

By this, I assume you mean that the solenoid will go click but the eng. will
NOT turn over?

If this is correct, and assuming that you have the original starter solenoid,
I'd start with the basics and the simplest, replace the starter solenoid.
Check my Morgan web page - restoration - general - electrical primers -
you'll
see and article /w diag. of why your solenoid is probably bad.

If that's not it, I'd suspect a bad spot on the comutator of the starter
motor - but I doubt it.

As Michael Graziano said, I don't understand the 2nd item.  I agree with
his initial comments about vapor lock.  How hot is it where you are now?

John
,

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org