Re: Hazard Light Indicator

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hazard Light Indicator
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 12:17:54 -0700 (PDT)
It does the same thing as the WIPER indicator light
does. Nothing, except occupy space on your dashboard,
and make it look cluttered.

According to several books I've read, atleast half of
the "safety" items on European cars were mandated by
the U.S. D0T or NHTSA before they would be authorized
for sale each year in the U.S. And it's a common
opinion that many of the items were done with some in
your face "You want it. You got it." attitude. (Since
the US was heavily taxing importers, euro car
companies and making them jump through more hoops than
U.S. manufacturers) Case in point; the rubber bumper
overriders on mid 70's spitfires which were supposedly
a U.S. safety requirement. They're as big as the
wheels on the car! The next step up would have been
hanging bouies or tires to the sides of the car ala
tug boats.

Of course, Euro and other exports are technically
identical to U.S. models (why waste all the money of
installing the same crap on countries that didn't
require it?), so it's probably just a perpetuated
rumor and some British interior designer had a
penchant for bulbus, overly large, indicator lenses,
which he wanted to haphazardly scatter all over the
dash.

As far as the bumpers are concerned, my theory is that
Michelotti was tired of people pointing out that all
of his designs were slightly falic in shape (Ferrari
GT260 spyder, mazeratti 2k), and probably alluded to
some tendancies he had, so in response, with the MKIV
and 1500's he gave the car 'breasts', to show he was a
man's man. (JK)

-Terry

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/