Re: I'm back!

To: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I'm back!
From: Atwell Haines <karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:23:09 -0400
Hi John,

Welcome back to the wonderful wacky world of Spitfires.

At 10:59 AM 7/2/2001 +0100, John Hobson wrote:
>  I seem to have a water leak from
>where the bottom heater hose connects to the engine(not sure what you
>call this connection?), although I think the leak is from one of the
>metal bits rather than the hose, the water seem to drip down from above
>the hose.  I can't make out where it is coming from exactly, any thoughts
>on where this leak might be?  It is losing a fair amount of water through
>wherever the leak is.  The bottom hose is new, and the metal bit on the
>engine that it connects to was quite a rough surface.  I would like to
>smooth this out, what would be good to use as either a filler, or could I
>sand away the roughness?

Try sanding the rough pitted metal. Then when re-fitting the hose put some
gasket cement (or RTV silicone) inside the hose to seal it.

My coolant filler neck (a separate metal piece on Federal 79-80 Spits) was
pitted like yours, and I finally had to replace it to stop the egress of
coolant from the joint.

>The other problem is that I think my near side spring/shock is knackered.
>  It makes a creaking noise when you press on it and the spring looks to
>be quite compressed.  Is the creaking noise endemic of this sort of
>problem?

I had that.  In my case it was a bad shock absorber that was binding.
(determined after disassembling every nut bolt and trunnion in the front
suspension).

You can swap the spring/shock assemblies side-to-side as a troubleshooting
aid. Doesn't take too long.

>Hope all of your Spitfires have not been giving you too much grief in my
>abscence :-)

No more than usual!  :)

Regards

Atwell Haines