I'm back!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm back!
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:59:16 +0100 (BST)
I'm back on the list again after my Thailand trip, and had my first
chance to take Saskia for a spin last Wednesday.  I had forgotten how
much I enjoyed driving Spitfires!  Although I only drove to work I had
smiling all the way there and back!

There are a couple of problems that I have at the moment that surface
before I went away.  The first is that I seem to have a water leak from
where the bottom heater hose connects to the engine(not sure what you
call this connection?), although I think the leak is from one of the
metal bits rather than the hose, the water seem to drip down from above
the hose.  I can't make out where it is coming from exactly, any thoughts
on where this leak might be?  It is losing a fair amount of water through
wherever the leak is.  The bottom hose is new, and the metal bit on the
engine that it connects to was quite a rough surface.  I would like to
smooth this out, what would be good to use as either a filler, or could I
sand away the roughness?

The other problem is that I think my near side spring/shock is knackered.
 It makes a creaking noise when you press on it and the spring looks to
be quite compressed.  Is the creaking noise endemic of this sort of
problem?

Oh yeah, and I think my gearbox is on it's way out, it is becoming
increasingly notchy.  Do these gearboxes generally soldier on for a while
being a bit notchy, or is it likely that this maybe something imminently
terminal?

I think that I will probably attend the TSSC International weekend on
Sunday 15th July, so if any listers are there on that day and would like
to meet up?...

Hope all of your Spitfires have not been giving you too much grief in my
abscence :-)

John