Engine bearings help!

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine bearings help!
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 22:32:42 -0400
I'm currently stuck in the middle of this job and looking for list
wisdom.

To correct a low oil pressure problem, I decided to replace the
main and rod bearings.  I'm doing this through the oil pan with
the engine in place.  I have the mains changed and two of the
rod bearings.

Problem is that the remaining rod bearings are inaccessible in
their current location and the crankshaft is steadfastly refusing
to turn to bring them to a move advantageous spot.  I tried
to bump the engine with the starter and it would only turn a very
small amount (the fan blades moving about 1/2 inch) before stopping.
I did this about 10 times and the engine refused to turn any further,
the solenoid just clicks...

I now have a charger on a dead battery and I'm hoping that the
battery just happened to die at this moment and that's
why the engine won't turn.  I fear that might be too much of a
coincidence and I actually ran the battery flat trying to force
the starter to turn over a stiff engine.

What could I have done wrong to make the engine so reluctant to
turn?  I well oiled all the bearing and made sure that the tabs
were in the proper location.  Any other suggestions?  (e.g. help!)

Thanks as always!

Greg Rowe (waiting for the recharged battery moment of truth)