Re: Engine bearings help!

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine bearings help!
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:28:23 -0400
Greg...

It sounds like something is seriously wrong.  It's been several years
since I did this job on my Federal <low compression> Spit but I recall
being able to rotate the crank *by hand* after I did the mains, spark
plugs installed.  You'll certainly need to spin the crank to do the
rod bearings but I'd be afraid to use the starter at this point until
you determine where the bind is.

Did you use plastigauge.  to check the new bearing clearances?
This is always a good idea.  Even when everything _should be right_
it's cheap insurance in this super critical area.

BTW...*after* I did my 1500 engine I read that I should have used new
bolts and not reused my old ones.  IMS that they're designed to
stretch one time only.  No issues yet but if I had to do it again...

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley