Seat reinforcement

To: "Spitfires (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, nass@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Seat reinforcement
From: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:28:51 -0500
I got a rather unpleasant surprise when I went to replace the carpet in my
wife's 70 spitfire.  All 4 rear mounting points had torn through the floor
to varying degrees.  This is in a completly rust free car.  I was surprised
by the lack of reinforcement, and it appears that the spotwelds used to tack
the nut plates under the car caused the cracking.  I have welded up the
cracks, but need to further reinforce these areas.  I was wondering if this
is a common problem with a common solution.  My first thought is to use some
1/8 x 2 bar stock and lay that along where the tracks mount, ans secure the
back to the swing arm mount bolt.

Thanks for any ideas

Chuck Pedretti
Senior Consultant, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA