Hub Removal Tool

To: "Team,Spitfiresautox" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Hub Removal Tool
From: "BILL McDEVITT" <wmmk1@informatics.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 16:59:12 -0500
Joe, No need for a special tool to remove the hubs, just do as I did 10
years ago
when I was restoring my MK1. Couldn't find a puller that would take them
off,
after all they were on there for 27 years!!
Took them to a friend's machine shop and he said no problem, we'll put in
the 20
ton press and they will pop right off??
We mounted one in the press and he applied all the force possible and
nothing.
He went and brought his torch, stating a little heat will loosen it. He
applied a lot
of heat to it until the paint and old grease started to flame, stood back
and just
shook his head.
A little disturbed at that point, he went at it with the torch once again
until the
hub was red hot!!
Then there was this "BIG BANG", the axle when down to the floor like a
rocket
and put a quarter inch hole in the cement floor.
The hub took off like a cannon ball and bounced all the way to the other end
of the shop!! (Ordered new wheel studs!!!)
Also had to rethread the end of the axle.
Started to reassemble it and in turning the axle noted that the hub was
really
bent badly!!
Back to the machine shop and removed the hub once again. He heated the hub
once again and was able to get it back to it's original shape!!
So you see there's no need to purchase some expensive tool to accomplish
such a small task!!
Funny now, but sure wasn't back then.  Bill