Re: Hub Removal Tool

To: "BILL McDEVITT" <wmmk1@informatics.net>,
Subject: Re: Hub Removal Tool
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 19:37:03 -0400
BILL McDEVITT wrote (with tongue in cheek):

> Joe, No need for a special tool to remove the hubs, just do as I did 10
> years ago
> when I was restoring my MK1. Couldn't find a puller that would take them
> off,
> after all they were on there for 27 years!!
> Took them to a friend's machine shop and he said no problem, we'll put in
> the 20
> ton press and they will pop right off??
> We mounted one in the press and he applied all the force possible and
> nothing.
> He went and brought his torch, stating a little heat will loosen it. He
> applied a lot
> of heat to it until the paint and old grease started to flame, stood back
> and just
> shook his head.
> A little disturbed at that point, he went at it with the torch once again
> until the
> hub was red hot!!
> Then there was this "BIG BANG", the axle when down to the floor like a
> rocket
> and put a quarter inch hole in the cement floor.
> The hub took off like a cannon ball and bounced all the way to the other
end
> of the shop!! (Ordered new wheel studs!!!)
> Also had to rethread the end of the axle.
> Started to reassemble it and in turning the axle noted that the hub was
> really
> bent badly!!
> Back to the machine shop and removed the hub once again. He heated the hub
> once again and was able to get it back to it's original shape!!
> So you see there's no need to purchase some expensive tool to accomplish
> such a small task!!

and I couldn't agree more. I haven't tried to do the Spit yet, but when I
did my 67 TR4A we had the same experience. Hub puller...no movement, bent
hub. Twenty ton press ... not a chance! Twenty ton press, torch to red
hot...not yet. Found someone with the origninal Churchill
tool...boing...piece of cake. The other hubs took a bit more work because
they had not gone through the puller, press, torch and press routine
yet...but then again, they all came off without ruining the hub!

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /