Re: Rimmer Bros.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rimmer Bros.
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:29:49 -0500
Frank Drummond wrote:

> Has anyone used Rimmer Brothers recently?
>
> Anyone familiar with the Stainless Steel exhaust system in their catalog?  Any
> problems?
>
> Generally speaking, is their shipping/packaging reasonable?  How long does it
> take to get delivery to the East Coast?

I bought the stainless "sport" exhaust for a GT6 a year ago.  This includes a
stainless 6-2-1 header which comes in three pieces, a pair of 3-1 downpipes
that twin into a 2-1 collector.  I believe the non-sport exhaust includes only
the stuff downstream of the collector: the exhaust pipe, which splits into 2
silencers, and the tailpipes.

I have still not installed mine because one of the 3-1 header pieces touched
the motor mount crossmember.  In other words, it didn't quite fit.  Also,
several of the parts were missing-- miscellaneous stuff like clamps and one of
the tailpipe hangers.  It took a few emails to Rimmer to sort out what they
hadn't sent, but they did come through in the end.

When it arrived, the "kit" consisted of a bag of fasteners of various sizes,
replacement studs for the head, and all the clamps & things.  Mustabeen
ohmaybe 10 lbs of hardware, in large and small chunks-- all jumbled together
in a shopping bag, and NOTHING labelled.  No instructions either, naturally,
because dontchaknow, we're all MEN here-- even Laura.

So would I buy one again?  You betcha-- but not from Rimmer.

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,

P.S. people say good things about TSSC's offering....