Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:15:35 +0000
As usual the e stands for essay not electronic in e-mail:

First off parking tickets. I decided to stop off at a local replica car
place (lots of ACs and stuff) - what caught my eye was an e-type. I decided
to risk parking across the road on a yellow line - as I was only popping in
and I would be able to see any parking attendants from the place. Anyway I
popped in and took a look around. Well Mr Parking attendant turned up down
the road - so I thought I'd make a hasty exit and get in my car. Only it
didnt want to start - the starter motor wasn't engaging. I decided to try
and get the car to move off using the starter motor - this worked before.
So I tried it and ended up quite close to the car infront - but to
ignition. Unfortunatly I then realised that I was on a hill so I couldnt
push it backwards. Damn. Mr Parking attendant spots me. So I decide to do
the usual phone call to my dad asking what to do - hit the starter motor.
But the bonnet wont go up because Im so close the the car in front. The
parking attended waits patiently whilst Im on the phone - and then tells me
"You'll have to shift that Mr." I then explain to him I cant and that help
is on its way - I phoned my sister to help me push start the car - whilst
Im looking down the road awaiting her arrival the parking vulture gives me
a ticket! 30 whole english pounds! So she arrives after about a minute - Im
only around the corner from home - and I explain to her the problem.
Luckily a couple of guys come over from the replica place with a big hammer
( he used to have one - well waddayaknow! ). Nope that doesnt work. So we
do the push start - and it goes. Then I drive home having given the parking
guy the dirtiest look in the book.

Now whilst I know its his job - the whole episode above happened over about
10 minutes. And I wasnt parked - I was broken down. I shall remember in
future not to stop on a yellow line in my Spit. Im going to appeal too....

BTW the engine fired up when I got home - but I still dont trust it until
Ive got some advice on the subject; any ideas? The starter motor is quite
new.

Number plates - the e-type I saw today (the one that cost me #30 just to
see)had a number plate on the bonnet - so as soon as I get around to it Im
going for it.

Informal Poll:

I get looks of disbelief - usually from fellow students with suped up
fiesta's and nova's with 1.3 litre engines huge bodykits - they usually as
me how much insurance is. They go a shade of green when I tell them.

I get ridiculed by certain friends just for the laid back position I sit in
- the arm rest is so comfy. I cant figure out any other position to sit in;
all the drivers who took me for a test drive when I was looking around at
them sat like that too.

Other friends find the gimmick of sitting so low amusing - especially when
I park too close to sloped grass verges...... and they can't get out
without throwing themselves on the grass. And nobody can work out how I can
get in so gracefully - I think the steering wheel makes it easier.

Other than that I don't get much. What I am dissapointed in is in the 2 1/2
months Ive had it I havent seen a single other Spitfire to flash my lights
at - not one. Ive seen a Herald - and the guy looked at me in a funny way
when I gave him a grin - he was stopped right next to me in traffic going
the other way. A guy in a Midget 1500 flashed his lights  and waved at me -
and I waved back and turned the wipers on and washed the screen
simultaneously - I had only had the car a week and was getting used to the
controls. But no Spitfire. Am I the only person in either Bromley or
Chingford who has a Spitfire and actually drives the thing? Maybe summer
will be better.....

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit - UK