Re: Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:16:07 +0000
In article <GO8W5Z00.B1H@tianguo.rave.ac.uk>, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> writes

>Other than that I don't get much. What I am dissapointed in is in the 2 1/2
>months Ive had it I havent seen a single other Spitfire to flash my lights
>at - not one. Ive seen a Herald - and the guy looked at me in a funny way
>when I gave him a grin - he was stopped right next to me in traffic going
>the other way. A guy in a Midget 1500 flashed his lights  and waved at me -
>and I waved back and turned the wipers on and washed the screen
>simultaneously - I had only had the car a week and was getting used to the
>controls. But no Spitfire. Am I the only person in either Bromley or
>Chingford who has a Spitfire and actually drives the thing? Maybe summer
>will be better.....

Summer is a *lot* better.   I live about fifty miles north of you, and
since September I haven't seen a single old Triumph or MG on the roads
(except the yellow T-reg 1500 that was parked, with the top down,
outside Halfords earlier this week).   I bought my car in February, and
spent the first three or four months wondering where all the others
were.   Come July I was passing a couple of classic sports cars every
fifteen minutes on the way to work (MGBs by the bucket-load, Spits,
GT6s, TR3s, TR4s, Austin-Healey Sprites...).   There are very few of us
mad enough to use Spitfires as year-round drivers - although I have to
say that with new transmission tunnel cover and a hard-top, there don't
seem to be too many drawbacks.    Last February the car only had a
soft-top, which was held together with Gaffer Tape, and an original,
cardboard transmission tunnel, that had mostly disintegrated.   Now that
made for some miserable drives...

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"