Re: Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parking Tickets, Number Plates & The Informal Poll
From: Robert Finnis <r.finnis@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:07:22 +0000
To the group:
Hi, thought I should introduce myself.  I am 24year old student living in
Guildford, UK.  I have just bought a 1971 Damson Red Spitfire IV, that is
currently undergoing light restoration in the garage (bits everywhere!).
Should be driving in January!

Robert Finnis

To James:
Bad luck on the parking front.

My starter motor gave up as soon as I had bought the car!  Worked fine during
test drives and inspection - get it home and try to restart it to put in the
garage and CLICK.  No amount of rocking, hitting, turning would get it to do
anything.

Thought it best to get a replacement.  Could get 2nd hand ones for about # 12
(Graveyard, Quiller, etc), recon exchanges for about # 23-28, but Halfords
(don't laugh) did a replacement starter outright for # 31! (Bosch box, Valeo
part, Lucas body).  Works fine.  Ordered at 7pm, arrived at 11 the next
morning.  I was quite impressed (However the #9 per air filter was a bit
steep).

I saw a photo of a spitfire for sale with a stick on number plate, so you can
probably get away with it.

I had a scare when I went to Endsleigh (Student insurance) for a quote on the
Spit - # 618!  I then went to Firebond who quoted # 170 - excellent.  This is
about a third of what I pay for my everyday car (unmodified Rover 214).  I
could get used to this classic car thing.

Robert