Re: MPH vs. RPM

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPH vs. RPM
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 08:08:17 +0000
In article <3C1BC1D6.4040604@cableone.net>, Alan Lemen
<ralemen@cableone.net> writes
>Used to have an excel spreadsheet with 2 charts:
>
>Chart 1- road speed for engine speed
>Chart 2 - engine speed for road speed
>
>Both based on a standard 1976 US federal spec (my car of course) with
>overdrive as my speedo was not working. Turned out it was diconnected
>at teh overdrive. But the table was pretty close I discovered after I
>got the speedo fixed up. Abaout 20mph per 1000 rpm in 4th with overdrive.
>
>I have the standard size wheels and tyres and I took the values from
>the Bently reprint and Haynes books ( I think they were both the same).
>
>Simply used the values like you had from the handbook.
>
>Not sure if there was a different final drive ratio for UK vs US spec,
>books probably tell you.

The link that Joe Curry so kindly provided suggests that a US-spec car
had a final drive ratio of 3.89 in Top, as opposed to our 3.63, so the
figures will be slightly different.

> If I can find the excel file I can send or modify the ration value if
>necessary and send as ascii ( text).

That is very kind of you, but I think I now have all the data I need -
and have proved that my speedo is reading 15% low. :-(

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"