Re: MPH vs. RPM

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MPH vs. RPM
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:30:48 -0700
>Hi,
>
>I haven't done this with the Spitfire, but I checked the

speedometer on my
>Rover with a handheld GPS.
>
>Drove along at a constant speed on a straight piece of road

whilst a friend
>read off the speed on the GPS (had a good sat lock), turned out

that 30 mph
>the speedo was dead on, whilst at 70 indicated was actually 67.

Don't know
>how accurate this system is, or whether it would stand up

legally.  May give
>you at least an idea of what speed you are doing.  I don't know

if GPS has had
>its accuracy fiddled with the recent actions.

I don't know about using a GPS, but I have been told by a couple
of different people that if a speedo is off, it can be pretty
accurate at the lower speeds, but off at the higher speeds.

Going past those boxes they set up by the side of the road to tell
you how fast you're going, at between 15 and 30, my speedo is
pretty accurate, but at 70, it's way off. I caravan with others to
an event and we'll be in the fast lane on the freeway. My speedo
will read 55-60 mph @ 4500 rpm in 4th !?! Well, anyone who's
driven the freeway here knows that the slow lane goes 65! So, I
always ask the people I'm with, "When we're at such and such a
point, or I signal-look at the speedo". I've figured out that the
speedo at highway speeds is at least 15 mph off! So, if I'm such
puttering around town, I figure the speedo as being on to 5 mph
off and on the freeway I figure the speedo to at least 15mph off.

Actually, on the freeway-go with the flow, and it's better not to
look at the speedo!-It's better not to know! ;-)

>I may have to rely on the tacho for speed readings as my speedo

needle bounces
>around +/- 5 mph in a 30!  I assume that a new cable (or

re-lubricating the
>old one) will fix this?

Yep!

Laura G. and "Nigel"