FW: Crankcase Breather (moderately long)

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Crankcase Breather (moderately long)
From: "Chris Sharp" <chrislsharp@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:51:48 -0800
A big thanks to everyone who commented.

Jean-Marc -- you make some really valid points.  I'm really driving with a
Spitfire4 engine using a MK II block.  Let me elucidate:

I have to admit that I'm actually driving a bit of a Frankenspit(R).  The
commision number is BFC26375, so the car is actually a Spitfire4 assembled
in Spa, Belgium (although titled as a 1966...go figure).  The engine block
number is FC74172HE and was in the car when I bought it in San Antonio in
'95.  The engine serial number suggests a MK II, although their is no way to
tell absolutely, considering it wasn't originally made for the US market.
(I had BMHT run a check on it and the only thing they could tell me was that
it was a TKD (Totally knocked down) vehicle shipped to Belgium for
assembly-- no engine number, colour, etc.  Most dissapointing $40US I ever
spent.)

The engine was sound (good crank, undamaged journals, no thrust bearing
wear) and not substantially different from an actual Spitfire4 engine, so I
kept it rebuilt it rather than chase down an original Spitfire4 block.  At
the time I wasn't hooked up with a good club and didn't think I could find
one.  A side benefit is that this engine has the large diameter lifters,
which early Spitfire4's didn't have and are now almost impossible to find.
Anyway, all of the Spitfire4 parts were on it when I purchased it so besides
the block number, it appears to be an actual Spitfire4 engine.  This
includes the block breather pipe on the side, the mesh screen oil filler
cap, Spitfire4 carbs, intake, exhaust manifold, and no "plumbing" from the
valve cover to the carbs.

Enough details!  Over the long weekend, I decided to see if the
Standard-Triumph "auto-oiler" could be placed in the "OFF" position.  I made
a temporary plug and installed it in the down pipe and then washed the block
and frame.  I'll drive it this week and let all y'all know what the outcome
is.

Chris